Mt Juneau-Gastineaux Lodge No. 21 originally began as two lodges working under the Grand Lodge of Washington: Gastineaux No. 124 and Mt Juneau No. 147. Gastineaux No. 124 (in Douglas) received dispensation from the Grand Lodge of Washington to work on December 9, 1902 and was chartered on June 10, 1903. Mt Juneau No. 147 (in Juneau) received dispensation from the Grand Lodge of Washington to work on March 14, 1905 and was chartered on June 10, 1905. These two lodges merged to become Mt Juneau-Gastineaux No. 124 on December 1995, under the Grand Lodge of Washington. Mt Juneau-Gastineaux Lodge joined the Grand Lodge of Alaska and was re-chartered as Mt Juneau-Gastineaux Lodge No. 21 on January 16, 2001.
Click here for Mt Juneau-Gastineaux No. 21’s website to learn more about the Lodge.
Phone: (855) 305-0155
PO Box 32558
Juneau, AK 99803
Location & Meetings:
Mt Juneau-Gastineaux No. 21 meets on the First and Third Tuesday of each month at 7pm.
We look forward to seeing you!
Southeast Alaska was a region explored by Europeans because of the possibility of great riches and eventually settled because these possibilities proved to be true.
After the United States purchased Alaska from Russia, prospectors searched for gold and found it in many places throughout Southeast. Discoveries along the coast from Windum Bay to Berners Bay led to the founding of Juneau. The success of the mining industry, from the late 1800’s to the mid-1940’s, and the transfer of Territorial government in 1900 to Juneau fostered population growth in the area. When large scale hard rock gold mining activity ceased in 1944, the city continued to thrive as a center for Territorial government. This population was composed not only of miners and government officials, but of entrepreneurs, doctors, lawyers, and others that invariably arrived at the beginning of the new town. As a result, neighborhoods such as working class Starr Hill, Casey Shattuck, Telephone Hill, Chicken Ridge, and the Mendenhall Valley were established.
The Gastineaux Channel area was the hunting and fishing grounds for local Tlingit Indians in 1880 when prospectors were searching for gold in Southeast. In Sitka, mining engineer George Pilz offered a reward of 100 blankets to any native who could lead him to gold-bearing ore. When Cowee of the Auk Tlingit arrived with ore samples from Gastineaux Channel, Pilz grubstaked prospectors Richard T. Harris and Joseph Juneau to investigate the lode.